I actually never wanted to ever have windows 10 on my computer,i was used of windows 7 which was always my favorite. While advancing and learning new skills,i later found advancing to a better windows system would help me to solve some of the issues while i was using windows 7.
I got courage and installed windows 10 in my Hp Elite Book,The major upset was when i needed some internet and i bought some megabytes of data (100) . 1 minute after i had pt my bundle,i got a message from Airtel (You have used 100% of your daily data bundle) in distress,i called 100 as it wasn’t usual. Windows update had reached at 60% seriously updating.
I had to change back to windows7,Did some research on how one can stop automatic downloads/updates in windows 10 forever and here is the solution to this problem i have come with.
One of Windows 10’s least-liked features is its tendency to automatically installing an update every time you try to shut down your computer or laptop.
I came up with 4 solutions to end this.
Solution 1. Disable Windows Update Service
Understand the limitations of this method. While disabling the automatic update service will temporarily halt any Windows 10 cumulative updates, the service will re-enable itself after a certain amount of time. Here are the directions:
1. Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2. Type services.msc and press Enter.
3. Scroll down to Windows Update, and double-click it.
4. In Startup type, select Disabled. Then click Apply and OK to save the settings.
Solution 2. Change the Setting of the Group Policy Editor
The Group Policy feature is not available in the Home edition. So, only when you run Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, or Education, you can use the Group Policy Editor to change the settings to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating. The group policy editor will notify you of new updates without automatically installing them.
Press the Windows logo key + R then type gpedit.msc and click OK.
Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
Double-click Configure Automatic Updates.
Select Disabled in Configured Automatic Updates on the left, and click Apply and OK to disable the Windows automatic update feature.
Note: If you need to update your Windows version later, you can repeat the steps above, then select Enabled to turn on this feature, so that you can continue to download the updates.
Solution 3. Meter Your Network Connection
Understand that this method won’t work for Ethernet connections. You can only disable automatic updates by using this method on a Wi-Fi connection. If your computer is connected to WiFi, you can try this to stop Windows 10 automatic updates.
1. Click the Start button at the bottom left on your desktop, then click the Settings app.
2. Click Network & Internet.
3. Click WiF in the left pane, then click the name of your Wi-Fi connection.
4. Click to turn on Set as metered connection.
Solution 4. Change the way of Windows 10 Updates Using Registry
Here’s how to make the change in Registry:
1. Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.
2. Type regedit, and click OK to open the Registry.
Browse the following path:
3. Right-click the Windows (folder) key, select New, and then click Key.
4. Name the new key WindowsUpdate and press Enter.
5. Right-click the newly created key, select new, and click Key.
6. Name the new key AU and press Enter.
Inside the newly created key, right-click on the right side, select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
7. Name the new key AUOptions and press Enter.
Double-click the newly created key and change its value to 2. It’s for “Notify for download and notify for install”. Click OK.
8. Close the Registry to complete the task.
Using this value prevents Windows 10 from downloading updates automatically, and you’ll get a notification when new updates are available. By this way, you can avoid any auto Windows 10 update effectively.
That’s how you could make an attempt to disable Windows 10 update in every way. Each method has been proved to work as long as you wish to turn off all the automatic updates in Windows 10.
Thank you for reading